Drain cleaning chemicals are dangerous to use and are extremely corrosive. Whether caustic or acid based, these chemicals can cause severe burns and/or property damage.
10 things you should know before pouring chemicals into your drains.
Drain cleaning chemicals are dangerous.
- FOLLOW LABEL DIRECTIONS
- Protect your hands with heavy rubber gloves.
- Wear eye protection in case the chemicals “back fire.” NOTE: A full face shield offers more protection.
- Avoid breathing fumes— they can be toxic.
- DO NOT mix drain cleaning chemicals with other chemicals or household cleaners. This can cause toxic gas or violent chemical reactions.
If the chemical treatment does not clear the stoppage:
- Do not use a plunger— it could result in an acid leak or splash-back into your face.
- Do not add more chemical — it will only make the condition more dangerous.
- Call a professional and make sure they understand that the drain is contaminated in order to protect their health and their equipment.
If you are on a septic system:
- Drain chemicals may change the pH in your system which could lead to system failure.
- Use biological treatments as a preventive measure to keep your drains flowing freely.
SVM Plumbing, Heating & Air is making professional drain care easier to obtain with this special offer:
Professional pipe cleaning to take care of your pipes.
Save $15 when you mention this page of our website.
Good through July 2021
For professional help with our drains, call us at (530) 842-7862
© 2004 Service Roundtable